Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Reference Blend: Using anisotropic materials + start pose's folds/wrinkles 4 months 3 weeks ago #773

• Sebastian
  • Sebastian's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 25
If you want to use anisotropic Cloth parameters (warp, weft, bias) in Carbon, you need to use the Tailored Cloth Model.
Reason being that we require a fixed space in which to define warp, weft and bias, hence the need for flat panels in the X-Y plane.
Once your flat panels are in that X-Y plane, you can rotate them as a tailor would on a length of fabric, to define their behavior.
For example, many garments are created from patterns cut along the bias to create their characteristic stretching behavior.

One potential drawback of this approach is that a flat Carbon Cloth reference is naturally free from wrinkles / folds.
While in many situations it is desirable to start from a "clean slate", i.e. not inherit folds and wrinkles from the 3D Start Pose (usually coming from a 3D garment design program), there are situations where one would like to preserve some of the folds or wrinkles from the 3D Start Pose.

In Carbon For Houdini 0.29.0 and Carbon Cloth for Maya 2.22.0, we introduced the Reference Blend feature, which allows selection between the Start Pose and Reference Pose as to where the Reference Metrics and Angles come from. This can either be uniformly controlled via the Reference Blend Base parameter, or be controlled on a per point basis with a paintmap, i.e. Value = Base + Range * Detail.

This feature is equally available in Carbon Cloth for Maya and Carbon For Houdini and can be used in conjunction with the Tailored Cloth Model as well.
This means that you can set the Reference Blend Base to 0, i.e. use all Angles / Metrics from the Start Pose, but still apply anisotropic Stretch parameters.

You can have a look at the files attached for an example of how to do this.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by admin.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds